There are many things that the average computer user can do to boost their computers performance. The first and most important is system maintenance. Removing extra programs, files, viruses, and registry entries will not only ensure that your PC is opperating properly, but also faster which is something we can all work with. Here are some basic steps to maintaining your PC.
- Download and install CCleaner - It's a free tool that will perform the majority of the maintenance functions that you need.
- Run the Cleaner Tool - make sure to uncheck cookies from the list
- Run the Registry Tool - make sure to uncheck unused file extensions. After the scan is complete it will ask if you want to backup the registry changes, always choose yes.
- Under Tools you can use the integrated removal tool to get rid of unwanted or unused programs.
- Also under tools is the Startup Tool. Here you can disable programs that you don't want to start when the computer boots up. Most programs will start up in the background when the PC is booted up. This can cause a major delay in your boot time.
- After you are finished with CCleaner then next thing you need to do is defragment your hard drive. The program is already installed on your system you just need to find it.
- If you go into My Computer you will see your C: drive. Right click on it and select properties.
- Under properties is the Tools tab, click on that and in the middle of the window will be the defragment tool. Select the button.
- When the tool opens hit the defragment button and let the tool work its magic. This can take multiple hours depending on the last time you ran it. Minimize the screen and continue working.